Moran Furniture Pty Ltd and its subsidiaries (“Moran Furniture”) recognise that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure. Moran Furniture, like other companies operating in Australia, is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which set clear standards regarding these activities.
Moran Furniture policy on the collection, use and disclosure of customer personal information is set out below.
Collection of information
The personal information you provide to Moran Furniture may be collected, used and disclosed for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- providing you with products and/or services requested;
- dealing with requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities;
- marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products;
- developing and improving our products and services;
- in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions;
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us;
- carrying out certain checks (for example if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online);
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom Moran Furniture has a business relationship (where you work for such an organisation);
- reconciling payments due to Moran Furniture from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers; and
- purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Moran Furniture or its assets.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so, we are unlikely to be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want or carry on the other activities set out above.
The type of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- your name;
- your address;
- your date of birth;
- your telephone number(s);
- your e-mail address;
- transaction information;
- your user name and password;
- details about your earnings (if you are buying products using a finance plan);
- information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) where we require these to verify your identity;
- information on how you use our products and services;
- your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites;
- your User Name for social networking sites that you use, to refer to, or in conjunction with, our goods and services; and
- personal preferences regarding products and services.
Method of collection
We collect personal information in a number of ways including:
- when you order goods or services from us (either online or in-store);
- when you set up an account with us;
- when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us;
- when you buy goods on lay-by or “duty-free” goods;
- when you pay for goods by cheque;
- when you subscribe to our catalogues or mailing lists or those of certain partners or retailers of ours;
- when you subscribe to Moran Furniture;
- when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
- when you browse one of our websites (further information is set out later in this Statement);
- when you complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews; and
- when you publicly comment about us on social media sites (for example so that we can answer questions about our products).
Moran Furniture also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with Moran Furniture.
Sharing your Personal Information
Moran Furniture may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to/from:
- our service providers who assist us in providing our services, including organisations that assist us with customer support, administration, archival, research, mail and delivery, marketing, auditing, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, security or technical services. In some cases these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf;
- law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities;
- parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Moran Furniture or its assets; and
- to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
If you apply for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
We will hold, use and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In particular, in considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
In considering your application, we may also collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Upon your request, Moran Furniture will take reasonable steps to let you know, generally, what sort of personal information we hold, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
Upon your request, Moran Furniture will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Law).
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that personal information depends to a large extent on the information you provide to us. To help ensure the accuracy of the personal information we hold about you, we ask that you:
- let us know if you become aware of any errors in the personal information that we hold about you; and
- inform us of changes to your personal information, such as changes to your name or address or other contact details, using the contact details set out at the end of this Statement. In addition:
- if you are a subscriber to our mailing list you can also update your details via the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us;
Moran Furniture Website
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website and use state-of-the-art data transmission encryption, unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send to us via email. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security in our possession.
The Websites may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
Moran Furniture sometimes handles personal information relying on exemptions under the Privacy Act, for example in relation to (i) employee records; (ii) related bodies corporate; (iii) provision of services to State or Territory authorities; and (iv) operations outside Australia relating to personal information of non- Australians.
Any permitted handling of personal information under such exemptions will take priority over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.
If you have any queries or concerns, further information can be obtained by contacting our Privacy Officer by email.